Monday, December 8, 2008

Day One-hundred-and-sixty-one: Shopping

I found out that my father likes to shop even less than I do, much less. As a result, our shopping trip to Clarksburg, about fifty miles away, with a stop in Weston on our way back bought a few food stuff extra that wasn't on the list but little else. We didn't get mud boots for me and after this snow melts, I will certainly need them. West Virginia, when wet, is noting but mud.

After a breakfast of oatmeal, and after a couple rounds of cards (cribage and gin), we were on the road by 10:00 AM. After a stop at Sam's Club to check out TVs, we made our way to Sears, where my parents bought a 40" Sony Bravia HDTV. Since that Sears store was out of stock on that model, they will have to pick it up on or after December 23rd.

By then it was lunch so we ate at China Buffet. I'm sure I stayed with true vegan items but both the amount and fat percentage content was over the top.

Then we went back to Sam's Club for non-TV shopping, well buying. Even though there was no walking the aisles just to see if there were any other things to buy, we did buy more than what was on the list. On the way home we stopped at both Wal-Mart and Kroger. My parents spend money better than I do, which is not to say for better things.

It felt good to donate to the Salvation Army kettles. One thing that I miss in this Life after Layoff is giving to the street people and muscians in San Francisco.

We made it back to their home just before 4:00 PM. Shopping in West Virginia is an almost all day effort. My middle sister called just after we got here. I guess she does it a lot. It was good to hear her voice.

As we were driving up the lane, we saw a neighbors horse with one leg stuck over a fence, hopefully not a barbed wire fence. My mother called the neighbor to let them know. They couldn't call back, even if they were of a mind to, because I have been on the computer using their sole dial up line for this blog. I'm glad to be able to keep up, however infrequently, even without pictures.

No comments: