Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Day One-hundred-and-fifty-five: Four states

I started on the road this morning just before 9:00 AM CST in New Mexico. I bought gas in Amarillo with 500 miles on the tank but only 131 miles for the day. At the 424 mile mark, I had 59.2 mpg. But with the wind and speed in Texas, by the time I bought gas, it was down to 57.6. I still had two bars on the gas gauge but managed to stuff $18.91 worth of gas into the tank and fill tube.

After Amarillo I made a beeline for Oklahoma City on I-40. There I hooked up with I-44 and am now at Marshfield, Missouri, some 695 miles further along and in my fourth state of the day. Sunday I was also in fours states, if the two times I was in Arizona count.

I started my iPod music right away today. I'm working my way through all the albums. Of course I turn it off when I'm talking on the phone. I did that for about an hour today. Interestingly, I was listening to Shania Twain's greatest hits just as I entered Texas. The last time I listened to country was when I lived in Texas, 22 years ago.

Just before Amarillo, I saw a pheasant cross the road in front of me. Before that, I was on a rather narrow road where the speed limit was still 70 MPH. I wasn't going that because the semi in front of me wasn't doing that. I finally passed the truck and returned to 72 MPH. Darned if that truck didn't keep right up with me until I turned onto 87. I sometimes wish I had never seen "Duel" starring Dennis Weaver.

Other than the really ancient buttes around Amarillo, the rolling hills, really just dips that periodically cut off cell phone signals, were not that interesting. By the time I hit Missouri, it was dark. So all I could really note that was interesting was that almost every exit had either an Adult Video store or a Fireworks Supermarket.

An even longer drive today resulted in a shorter blog. It may be because this drive was more tiring. I don't think I will be going back the reverse of this drive in January. Once in a Life after Layoff is enough.

No comments: