Saturday, December 27, 2008

Day One-hundred-and-eighty: Extended Family

We managed to get out and about in time for lunch at Northstar Cafe' about 1:00 PM. As usual, the food was great. People recovering from a nasty 24-hour stomach virus, (flu?), people worried that their stomach was a little touchy and that they may be at the onset of the virus attack, and people who had just eaten their breakfast at 11:00 AM, were not as hungry as they should have been. Then there were the people who were just trying to save me money. I had their vegan Northstar burger. I had had it before but it was truly a tasty mouthful, and I do mean mouthful.

The meander through the Park of Roses with a quick side trip to gawk at the large house, while the owner zipped into her drive and garage, was a great follow-up.

Then it was back to Marilyn's mother's residence for a little more visiting and slightly later back to Marilyn's sister's residence for a little TV watching. My brother-in-law and I had hoped to watch Ohio State's basketball team beat WVU but as the game went on, it was too difficult to watch the slaughter so we turned to the football game where we were rooting for the Big Ten team, Wisconsin, to beat Florida State. As in many other times, so far, in my Life after Layoff, my wishes were not to be. Still, I keep believing, knowing that the big wish will happen when I need it most.

The day was topped off, and I do mean topped, with a visit to my brother-in-law's mother and husband. His sister, who lives close to them came over with wine. I won't say the wine hurt the humor, or my seeing humor, but even my brother-in-law, the designated driver was laughing and contributing to the reasons for laughter. I can't begin to even remember all that was said and know that trying to relate some of it out of context will only lead me to then write that you just had to be there, but if he forwards the voice message of the service call supposedly from CVS and I play it for you, you would probably laugh too. If he hadn't put it on his cell phone's speaker phone he would have had to play it over and over again to make sure everyone heard it. Then again, he did play it over and over again anyway. (It was being requested.) Anyway, it had something to do with his order of anal wart cream, which was coming in in two shipments so they would call him again when the second shipment arrived. It closed by saying that his special order of extra small condoms had already arrived.

I learned a lot about his family and found that I fit right in. I have been semi-invited to his brother's 2009 Christmas party which is held in a Funeral Parlor. (I really invited myself and that was confirmed by my brother-in-law's sister, not the brother who actually throws the party.) Half of them were telling me that it was a normal party in a banquet room that just happened to be at a funeral parlor and the other half were telling me of the zany events and conversations I would likely hear. It sounds like fun. I hope I don't have to be making money right then so I can go, if indeed I am truly invited.

No comments: