Friday, December 19, 2008

Day One-hundred-and-seventy-one: Hay day

Even though it was cloudy, it wasn't raining. So, this morning we hooked the hay trailer to the truck and went to get three 800 pounds (each) bales of hay. (I weighed them by picking them up and comparing them to the weight of the hay trailer.)

My father had told me about the easy loading, (They had a bale specific fork lift that set them down in the truck bed and trailer without human assistance.), but he didn't tell me it would be muddy. So, I didn't wear my already muddy mud boots purchased just for that condition. To top it off, they are duck boots, suitable for deer hunting and one of the people there asked if I had gotten my deer this season. I said I hadn't and he said he hadn't either. He would have been more convinced that I was a deer hunter with those boots. However, my father did point out that I was a city person from California. Instead, I was wearing my hiking boots. I was careful and they only got a little muddy, like my jeans.

I can't believe I am leaving so soon. Even though my clothes were washed, all except for one handkerchief that I dropped schlepping my armful of loose clothes to the washing machine, the task of packing everything is daunting. This may be why I'm putting it off until tomorrow. I'd like to live out of my backpack just to see if I can. However, I don't think I've quite simplified my Life after Layoff that far. I am headed in the right direction. But the real reason I want to is that I am lazy. I only want to haul my backpack into the various places I will be staying over the next four nights. If I can do this now, I should be able to do it later for much longer, when riding my motorcycle.

Im seeing everything as practice for my next stage in life, even as I'm not fully certain what that stage will be.

No comments: