Thursday, December 25, 2008

Day One-hundred-and-seventy-six: Anniversary

While I cannot forget that Marilyn passed away 366 days, one year, ago at 3:02 PM PST, I have not dwelled on it. While it has been constantly in the back of my mind, which is not substantially different than any other day, my day has otherwise been quite normal. That is, if any day this unique can be normal.

It started in northern Ohio when I got up to say good bye to my sister at 4:30 AM as whe was getting ready for work. I went back to bed and didn't get up for myself until 7:30 AM. After a breadkfast of grapefruit and a cupcake, I cleaned up, packed, filled my plastic Baja Fresh water glass, loaded the car and drove out, with my water glass still in their kitchen. I didn't even notice that I didn't have it until I got thirsty.

After a drive of about 120 miles, I was at the Diamond Cellar at Easton to pick up my 26' chain, fixed heart, and polished wedding bands. I'm wearing it/them now. I was wondering whether or not I would get it as the person in front of me was trying to pick up a ring that he was supposed to be able to pick up the day before. They had about three weeks to get my order correct and they made it in that time.

Just outside of Columbus I got a call from my oldest daughter. She and her husband had just landed. We agreed to meet at Marilyn's oldest sister's house. I arrived no later than five minutes after they did. After a little conversation and an attempt to visit Marilyn's mother, we headed off to German Village.

We parked near Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant. We had thought to have a beer or something at Schmidt's but it was quite popular. Instead we meandered our way to Pistachio's Bakery. We briefly went into Helen Winnemore's Contemporary Craft Gallery, where I knocked one ceramic item to the carpeted floor without it breaking and almost knocked another piece off trying to hang that piece back up. Needless to say we left quickly after that. We checked out an upscale wine and beer store and then passed The Book Loft. Finally we met two of my daughter's cousins, one with her husband and really cute daughter. (I wonder if my daughter is getting the hint?)

When we left Pistachio's, we walked through the bookstore. I actually bought something for my mother.

While we were in the bookstore, the ice came. We slipped and slid all the way to the wine store. We slipped and slid all the way to the car with the added burden of two very breakable wine bottles. The car had to be scraped off. The only reason we didn't slip and slide in the car was our lack of speed. At first intentionally and then because of traffic, we literally crept all the way back to Gahanna.

Progress, however slowly, is welcomed in my Life after Layoff.

(Marilyn, I still miss you.)

No comments: