Thursday, December 18, 2008

Day One-hundred-and-sixty-eight: More Farm Work

The morning was great for sun shine. So much so we took about a mile and a half walk, in the mud. On the walk we decided to do a couple necessary chores to enable the purchase, pick up, and storing of three more [large round] bales of hay for the goats.

This involved moving the three bales already in the shed and driving the ATV to take the hay trailer up to the house and truck. Using the same ATV, we took an old [metal] barrel up to Grandma's former house, or as I like to characterize it, my mother's second house in the mountains. (It's maybe a half mile further up the hollow and is higher.)

Then we two car caravaned to their auto mechanic to get their Elantra's soft brakes checked out. We drove on to Weston in one car to pick up a pair of gold earrings my mother had made from pearls she got in Hawaii last year.

While in Weston, I had my first Veggie Delite from Subway.

Once home again, I had a break through day in pool. I won every game. While I am playing better, (I have had a lot of recent practice in my Life after Layoff.), most of my wins came from my father playing worse. The secret to winning a lot of late day pool is to work him to exhaustion in the morning, which made my hand-eye coordination marginally better.

After pool, more cards. I lost badly in two games of cribbage. One was a skunk and the other had me just one peg past the skunk line. I lost again in gin. I did win the first game but then she whipped me four games in a row.

Oh well, the pool made up for a lot. But what did we watch on TV just before bed? The Trick Shot Championship. I'm still a little dyslexic when it comes to hitting my target ball on the correct side for those almost straight in shots. Besides, as interesting as it was, I'm unlikely to see any of those shot options in a real game. A lot of them involved foreign objects being strategically placed on the table. I know my father wouldn't let me get away with it even if he did admire the skill of the shot.

No comments: