Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day Twenty: Its hard to give up books

Well, I've gone through everyone of the 33 boxes in my bedroom. I've physically handled every book. Out of the 33 boxes, I am giving away seven. Of course, one of the larger ones that I'm not giving away is filled with my son's books. I've put a couple of the series I most like in some previously empty drawers. I found a cookbook I was looking for. I discovered that I have language books for German, Spanish, French, New Testament Greek, Latin, and Russian. Plus, several English books, dictionaries and writing books. Only the German and Spanish language books weren't mine.

I'm keeping all of the language books. I did get rid of several of my and my wife's college textbooks. I haven't looked at them for over 30 years and I'm sure she didn't look at them either.

I found a couple of duplicates, which means that I probably read both of them at least once. (The books I really like I read more often but usually the same copy.)

I also reread one of the books to find out whether I should keep it. I not only decided to, but went to Amazon and bought the next two in the series. After that book, I decided to not be uncertain again. It took an inordinate amount of time and cost me money.

I found a whole bunch of cards that my wife must have accumulated. I'd write more about them but I'm planning on using them.

I also found several blank notebooks, only two of which were mine. I have several partially filled ones, and by partial I mean only a few pages out of several. Notebooks are really a poor name. They are more like journals. Some are even leather bound. Anyway, I was really glad to find one that only has three pages filled in.

Before my wife passed away, she insisted that I listen to one of her audiobooks, The Secret. I have since listened to it several times. In one moment, lengthy moment, I made three focus pages for what I want out of life: Joy, Health, and Freedom. Some long time before I listened to The Secret I bought my wife an iPod. On the back of it is inscribed: "Marilyn Westbrook the JOY of my life." I have just had a physical and no particular problems were discovered. In my Life after Layoff, I have more freedom than I ever would have imagined. Two out of three were supposed to be good. I'd give everything for my Joy.

To top it off, I still have books on the floor and books on my bed with a lot to do before I rest my head.

No comments: