Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day Eight: Feed the worms

I was awakened early with what sounded to me like my wife calling my name. It wasn't, of course. It couldn't have been. But I got up anyway because either my wife or my subconscious was telling me to get up.

As a result I've had a very productive but boring day. Basically I've made my computer room, study, usable again by getting rid of a lot of paper. I don't have a cross-cut shredder but I have something possibly even better, a "Wriggly Ranch." Well, I actually use my compost pile but I've put worms from my worm farm in it so it is much like the same thing. Basically, I mix my kitchen compost scraps with my shredded documents and they all become worm food. After a worm eats the paper, I defy anyone to reconstruct its contents.

As a former exempt employee, I would frequently work long hours and take work home for even longer hours. There were also many times I had to get something done on the weekend because that is what the job required. However, I don't think I've ever spent so much mind numbing time voluntarily as I have today. In fact, I even enjoyed it because it was making progress toward something that is truly important to me, personally.

I did have breaks, to do other work. I did a couple loads of wash. I made food and ate it. To do the latter, I had to go shopping. During my breakfast cooking, I made such a mess that I just had to clean up the kitchen. All in all, today was a solid twelve hours of work and may be even longer, I haven't gone to bed yet.

Now work really is life, Life after Layoff.

No comments: