Thursday, October 9, 2008

Day One hundred and one: A "happening" day

Maybe it was because of the quiet Life after Layoff I've been leading but I now have joined a local Toastmasters Club. Even though I have talked a little bit on the phone for the webinars that I've been taking, primarily to answer the roll call, I've been trending to more silence. In fact, tonight was the first day since last Sunday that I've made it out of the house.

I also got my Absentee Ballot today. I immediately sat down, filled it in, and mailed it on my way to the Toastmasters meeting.

I see Toastmasters as a way to develop and practice my speech crafting much like this blog is writing practice. I'm hoping I'm using this practice already as I have started my Memories of Marilyn blog. I'm not sure when I will use the speaking practice, or really when I'll even get it. This club has two speakers a meeting. I don't know how many members they have but that could mean as few speaking times as once a month.

Now I'm not sure that my speaking ability will improve as much as would be ideal, since I decided to start from the beginning again. However, my secondary objective, perhaps even the primary objective is to meet fellow Pacificans. What with work and Marilyn's illness, I know very few people. Besides, "relationships" is one of my weak areas for a successful retirement. (It is probably a weakness for finding another job, if I were to do so, as well. Networking is big and I'm not a big networker.) Maybe this is why I'm interested in enhancing my writing skills.

After Toastmasters I went grocery shopping. Here it is only October 9th and I'm well on my way to being well over my monthly food budget. I really don't know what my budget should be but know I could spend less. At some point I will have to, not because I've run out of money, although that may also occur, but because I'll run out of room in my house and around my waist.

No comments: