Friday, October 17, 2008

Day One-hundred-and-nine: Contemplating my navel

I've always associated "contemplation" with deep thoughts and in association with "navel" perhaps deep thoughts from meditation. This is not so in my use in the title. I'm really just misdirecting my potential readers' thoughts from what I've really done today, which is nothing. Since my brain has been active all day, I can always claim I'm thinking.

Indeed, I did think about my upcoming Toastmaster speech. I even read the write-up/directions. Well, since I was reminded yesterday from my review of some of the personality and style assessments I've taken over the years that I have a tendency to gloss over details, I scanned it. I will probably continue to think of it daily until the night before and the point where I no longer can procrastinate and finish it up. I hope I don't do what I did in college where I put off writing my papers until after midnight, which meant I was actually writing it on the day it was due. This was really bad one quarter in my freshman year with a paper due every week and a couple other papers due sporadically in other classes. Finally there was one week that I had two papers due on the same day. For these papers I planned ahead, actually beginning after midnight for two nights in a row. In fact, I was awake for almost 72 hours straight. This led to sleeping for 15 hours straight. I was both amazed and glad that I could sleep that long, I certainly can't now, but the consequences were that I missed all the meals that day of long sleep. I really thought missing food was the worst of the experience. It's an even greater leap to think that I'm now "contemplating" fasting.

I finally took that misdirected piece of mail to its rightful destination. I didn't check to see whether anyone was home but dropped it in the extra-wide garage door mail slot. I did stop and talk with someone who was working on his front yard. He was repairing mole damage with new sod. I thanked him for keeping his house and yard looking so nice. Where I dropped the mail off looked like a rental. Thank goodness it was further away. Since my lot is a flag lot and is set back from the street, the impact of how well other houses are maintained is lessened. Besides, I have my own maintenance issues.

I did pick some more dandelion blooms. Since I don't want to kill the clover that is also in my backyard, I need to go out and dig up as much of the roots as I can. They are persistent and keep producing blooms.

No comments: