Sunday, October 12, 2008

Day One-hundred-and-four: Vegan cupcakes that take over the world

Since I had some Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting left over from a couple of weeks ago, I decided to make another double batch of vegan Basic Chocolate Cupcakes. This time I was smart and took the frosting out of the refrigerator to let it get to room temperature before I needed to frost. The frosting went a lot better.

So, I packed the car with 20 cupcakes, 14 of them "frosted," and drove to San Carlos. As I was turning on El Camino, I noticed the Street Fair and thought to myself, "I wonder what this is going to do to parking." Two or three large city blocks and several minutes later I found out. I had just given up finding a spot driving down the alley parallel to El Camino after the parking lot I had used previously was full. After all, I had already driven beyond the end of the street fair. So, I decided to go north of Holly to see if I could find some parking in that direction. I turned on to El Camino to do just that and there it was, a sign that read no parking 2 to 6, but there were a lot of spots and it was only 1:00. I parked and before I grabbed anything out of my car I walked back to take another look at the sign. When I read it more closely, it was 2 AM to 6 AM.

I grabbed the cupcakes, my journal, and my water, and crossed the busy El Camino without the benefit of a crosswalk. Once across I quickly recrossed to grab my cell phone. Then back across the street. After few steps down the sidewalk I was looking for the first flat place to sit something down, which occurred quickly when I knocked my Baja Fresh water cup over. It was full so a little water did seep out around the straw hole. I took this opportunity to put my heavy journal in my waistband and carried the cupcake containers in my left hand and my water glass in my right. Even the cupcakes got heavy by the time I got to the phone bank office. (I thought my "perfect pushup" exercises was giving me more upper body strength.)

The cupcakes were a hit and were gone by the time I left. I was greeted with "the vegan cupcake guy" when I walked in. A person asked for the recipe as I was walking out. I got halfway to my car and realized that I had left my journal. The walk was good. The weather was great.

The calling was so so. Out of 117 calls that I made, 92 were not home. Only one specifically said that they were voting for someone other than Obama, however, 12 refused to say. (The 12 also includes the people who hung up.) There were seven calls made to Obama supporting households. I learned later that a record number of 3,245 calls were made from that location today. There were a lot of people there. While most of them were younger than me, there were a surprising number that were truly young, but older than 18.

I talked with one Obama supporter who said that he has received over 20 phone calls. Even though I was one of them, and don't regret it, I'm glad that I don't live in a battleground state in my Life after Layoff.

On my way home I stopped in at Whole Foods. Among other things that are good for me, I bought some more Tortilla Chips, a flavored variety. This would ordinarily be bad news but I've already tried them. I guess they are edible but they aren't entirely to my taste. This means that I'm not in any rush to eat them, which is really good news.

I must like paper, blank paper. I just looked out over the table at which I am writing this and I count two leather bound journals, three pads of paper, a notebook calendar, and an address book.

No comments: