Monday, October 6, 2008

Day Ninety-eight: Self improvement

For all I'm not doing, I'm improving most of all. Today was the first of four "retirement" webinars. It had homework. Since I was already at home, it was just work. Mostly it is common sense, which I guess is not all that common. I scored fairly well on the Retirement Success Profile in all areas but relationships. I couldn't score the questions about my interactions with my spouse high. So, I'm too alone and loneliness is not a positive retirement characteristic.

I also didn't score well on leisure activities. Even now, my 98th day after layoff, I don't really have that many leisure activities. Most of what I do is associated with purposeful, non-leisure, activities in my Life after Layoff. If they were for money they would be called work. Then there is a lot of housework, and I've already talked about my homework. But I am having more fun with this work.

In addition to the learning, I continue to work on other aspects of improving myself. It is a lot easier to get regular healthy exercise with my NordicTrack Skier in the middle of my living room. And while I may not be getting better at meditating, I am finding that time beneficial. In fact, I think I will do my evening meditating now.

No comments: