Monday, September 29, 2008

Day Ninety-one: Finding work is work

I've started on the long path of finding replacement income, well, I started last week but today is my first official day. It is every bit as much work as I remember and if the stock market weren't tanking, I would not be even as eager as I'm not now. First, I have a lot to read, learn, prepare, and find. I don't know how many hours this will take a day but I am to get the bulk of the preparation work done before I head out on my six-week road trip in December.

The worst of it is that I haven't thought on these kinds of things for some time. No, the worst of it is the time that it will take. No, the worst of it is all the competition for that time over the next two months. (I must get my house ready for me to be away for six weeks. A watering system, or person, is mandatory. Come to think of it, a watering person would be cheaper. I'll have to make some calls, something else to do.)

So, in the face of all this work, I decided to skip out on it this afternoon. Instead, I mowed my yard, vacuumed my floor, and washed dishes. I wonder if there is a business that can be built on procrastination.

I wore a suit, and tie, for my meeting with my, and several others', personal consultant. He confirmed that I have my head on straight but emphasized the "work" that I needed to do. He also said that it would take three to five months to find a job once I start actually looking instead of just preparing. This fits well in my time frame of doing it next year but not so well for the way I want to be spending my time on next year.

Finding a job isn't living, whether or not it is part of my Life after Layoff.

Today is the last day of the thirteenth week after my layoff. One quarter of a year gone by already. It has been fun and hopefully will continue to be fun. I don't intend to work for money ever again, which is not the same as saying I will work for free. I intend to work for me with lots of money as an incidental by product.

No comments: