Friday, September 26, 2008

Day Eighty-eight: Virtual outplacement in a virtual world

My company bought a good package for me, including a personal consultant, who I am to see Monday. Most of the outplacement services are virtual: webinars, research, email, resume' preparation, ... Several of these services can continue for me even after the contracted for time period. What's even better, they have both an "entrepreneurial" and a "retirement" series. Of course, I just bought my own copy of a book my daughter loaned me: Work Less, Live More (The Way to Semi-Retirement).

In addition, my business plans, writing plans, even my living plans, but more than anything else, my travel plans don't really support working at a job in my Life after Layoff.

Aside from the time I've been eating and on the Internet, I've been watching TV. Eating today consisted of two meals of tomato sandwiches, breakfast and dinner, and a salad and potatoes for lunch. (The nice thing about tomato sandwiches is that they don't require any cooking. Even the potatoes were leftovers I microwaved.) But I couldn't miss the debate, not that I particularly enjoyed it.

Well, I did do a couple other things. I've started establishing my daily and weekly schedule, which doesn't have time for work. There are a lot of items that are simply maintenance: exercise and food for body maintenance, cleaning for house and car maintenance, yard maintenance, and blogging for mental maintenance. Then there are the projects that I want to make progress on. For example, I have a lot of house projects, including a new toilet for the master bathroom sitting in the garage. Some of my other "projects" may be more on the order of wishes but at least I want to pursue some of them to see if they can be more.

In a slightly different take on my "projects," I want to share the horoscope I read for me today: "It's just your luck that the project you were least interested in winds up becoming your meal ticket. Feast is better than famine."

One project that will continue to take my time is finding more and more ways to fund the Marilyn Westbrook Garment Fund. I am working on a posting I can carry with me across the country as I travel back east to visit family for the holidays. Part of this project is my new blog Memories of Marilyn.

The most important item in all of my planning is fun and I intend to have a lot of it.

No comments: