Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Day Eighty-five: A day of many happenings

But not much activity. I did vacuum, water and make my bed. I got cleaned up and made phone calls. The phone calls are the cause of some of the many happenings. I also baked another batch of my vegan chocolate cupcakes, this time in true cupcake form. I also went out and mailed a package and bought some heirloom tomatoes. (They cost more but are worth it. I actually eat the heirloom ones. I won't even buy the cardboard tasting ones for cooking. I'll use canned tomatoes first.)

One of my phone calls was to the Daly City Honda Dealership so I could take my motorcycle in for servicing. When they said I could bring the bike in today and pick it up by evening I quickly asked if there was a better time tomorrow. So, I have an appointment right at 9:00 AM for about an hour and a half. I'll just hang around or go walking in Daly City for the duration.

Another phone call set up an out placement appointment, a service offered to me because of my Life after Layoff status. I'm hoping they offer a business startup path rather than just resume writing and interviewing practice. If that is all they have, I will see if I can't use those offerings in making my own business path. A good curriculum vitae is undoubtedly required for venture capital investment.

I also made my first entry in my Memories of Marilyn blog. I don't plan on making an entry every day but will regularly. I wasn't trying for any special significance to this first "memory" but not only was it nine months exactly since her passing but the actual entry approximated her time of death. Even though the memories are positive and a joy, it has still been an emotional day.

One last thing. I have kept my politics out of this blog and in the past have often voted libertarian or green because I didn't see much difference between the two major party candidates. This hasn't made much difference in decidedly liberal California but this year there is one candidate I can vote for rather than against. Again though, my vote will not make much difference in California. As a result, I am going to use the freedom that this particular time in my Life after Layoff affords me to become involved in the campaign to elect Obama.

When I had a job I donated to both McCain (and Obama) because I thought both of them were the best their parties had to offer. The more I learned of Obama, the more I favored him. The more I learned about the 2008 McCain, vs. the 2000 McCain who I thought I was donating to, the more I regretted the donation. Now that I can no longer donate money, I have signed up for a stint on the phones for the Obama campaign, hence the cupcakes. I have applied for a greater role but will not be upset if I am not selected for it. (I have many other things to do.) I am still registered as an independent and will remain so. I do not expect my small assistance to result in a political appointment regardless of my Life after Layoff status but I do expect Obama to win. Besides, I have other goals and if a political appointment is anything like the one political science class I took in college, it would be sooooo boring.

No comments: