Sunday, August 3, 2008

Day Thirty-four: Bugs, tar, and tree sap

I baked my "Almost No Knead" bread this morning. I did the ten kneads this morning before breakfast and set it in the oven to raise the final two hours. By the time I made and ate breakfast (and raised the paper), it was just a half and hour or so before I was to start the baking. I didn't want to start anything dirty before then, so I did a couple little things.

This particular bread calls for heating the dutch oven to 500 degrees then baking with the lid on for approximately 30 minutes. So I couldn't do anything that would take substantial time before I had to take the lid off. Then it bakes 20 to 30 minutes more with the lid off. So basically I couldn't do anything until the bread was on the cooling rack.

Once it was cooling though, I went out and washed my truck. This had to be the first time it had been washed in over two years, a good portion of that time it was sitting idle, accumulating debris, dirt, and sap. The 150 pounds of water pressure took care of the debris. The car washing soap took care of the dirt, well, most of it. But nothing I had took off the tree sap or cleaned the wheels. But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

After the washing, I went in and ate a lunch that featured my just baked bread and an heirloom tomato. Then after some non-working elbow grease on the tree sap spots and on the brake dust encrusted wheels, I went out to get some products that would do the job, let alone do it without as much work. These products say that the paint won't be damaged if the directions are followed. One even says to wear protective glasses. I have a pair somewhere in the garage but even though the shed allows it to be emptier, it was almost time to eat. As I had already worn a hole in the latex gloves I had put on to protect my hands from the product that didn't work, I decided that eating with clean hands would better.

Besides, procrastination is the way of Life after Layoff.

No comments: