Friday, August 8, 2008

Day Thirty-eight: Clearing out

The storage shed wasn't enough to de-clutter my downsized home. I'm getting rid of more than the extra stuff in the garage. Of course, I will need to get some other stuff, but hopefully that will be more suited to the space and more useful. (I am a very function-oriented person in the final analysis.) After this wave, I will be able to get the stuff I really need into here and may have even more stuff to get rid of.

Just to impress, and also because I had to make a list anyway for the associated measurements, I am getting rid of: two sofas; one hassock; a matching sofa table and map table; a matching desk, dresser, and end table; an oak dining room table with five chairs; a mini-fridge; five wall units; and a coffee table with two matching end tables.

I don't know whether or not I will have all the desired stuff here for my son's wedding or not, but there is still a lot left, including all the beds. Of course, the youngest might need to sleep in a tent, but it's a good sized tent.

I also replaced most of my incandescent bulbs with CFLs today. I was waiting until the incandescent bulbs burned out before I put in CFLs, but the bargain I got at Costco for 22 CFLs of assorted lumens, combined with the four I had picked up earlier, put me in the mind of: "Why wait?" So, I didn't. I will keep the incandescent bulbs for the dimming chandelier over the dining room table and there are a couple of lamps whose cover actually clamps onto the bulb. Being environmentally friendly is a way of life and saving money is the way of Life after Layoff.

No comments: