Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Day Fifty-eight: San Diego

This morning at 7:43 AM, according to my cell phone log, I received a call from the Gerson Institute asking to speak with Marilyn. I let them know that she passed away December 23, 2007. I should have let them know earlier and in a way that was less traumatic for both of us.

After I hugged and said goodbye to my daughter as she left for work, around 8:30, I started on the second stage of my drive to San Diego. Since I was going to get there early and with the earlier call still in my mind, I thought I'd drop in on the Gerson Institute. Well, the only "Gerson" that was close in my Prius' navigation system was "Gerson Research." After a drive well off of I-5 but through some wonderful horse venues, including polo fields, I arrived at--nothing. There were no buildings, no signs. So, I pulled off to turn around and called the number from earlier this morning for directions. (Yes, I, a man, asked for directions.) What happened next is the reason most men don't. Most directions are worthless. Not only was the address I was given over the phone not in my Prius, I couldn't find it on the street. I couldn't find a sign. I drove all up and down Second Avenue. Finally, I came on to the Lymphedema conference. I'm not lost in my Life after Layoff, but it appears that a lot of other places are.

My room wasn't ready so I put my big bag in storage and proceeded to the exhibit hall. Over some period of time, I got my laptop power cord plugged in and taped down. I got a couple of chairs, although it appears that I will be staffing the booth by myself. And lastly, I got a separate smaller table for the poster. Then Saskia came by, making all the appropriate oohing and aahing sounds over all the preparation and then asked if I would be willing to give a short speech on the MWGF Saturday.

I'll see what I can write out and let her know. I may still be too close it. My eyes teared up when a person from Australia talked with sympathy for me about her sister's battle with cancer. (It has spread to her bones.)

As I was going over some of the pictures of Marilyn with Saskia, it struck me that the person who often put her hand up in front of her face to avoid a picture being taken has her picture around the world on the Internet and at least in front of people from twelve countries at this conference.

I'm all checked in, using an Internet connection that costs $12/day. With this entry I'm also caught up with my blog entries so the cost was worth it. Now for a late dinner.

No comments: