Friday, August 15, 2008

Day Forty-five: Baking sweets

Today I really made a mess of the kitchen. I made two kinds of cupcakes, at the same time. The vanilla cupcakes had a cup and a quarter of flour. The chocolate only had a cup of flour. This was made up by the 1/3 cup of cacao powder. So, the very first thing I did was put the chocolate in the bowl with the cup and a quarter of flour. After salvaging as much as I could of the chocolate and putting it the right bowl, I finally figured out that all I had to do was set the flour laced with chocolate aside and start the vanilla cupcakes over.

That wasn't the only faux pas. When I was placing the chocolate cupcake batter into the papers, I got my scoop too close the paper. It touched. Thus, when I pulled the scoop back up to shake the right amount of batter into the paper, I pulled one side of the paper up. This dumped the batter into the pan and left me with 11, not 12 cupcakes. So with the chocolate cupcakes I didn't eat from my earlier experiment with coffee, I have 20 chocolate cupcakes and 12 vanilla cupcakes. Tomorrow I make bread and the cupcake topping.

I also made my Food for Life Ginger Bread. The oven was going for over an hour. Thank goodness I live in Pacifica. I think the high today was 73.

Many of these entries are being written the following day. Even so, I haven't written why, until now. I've been staying up watching the Olympics. Since I'm getting up at the same time, or close to it, I'm tired. This has led to a nap in the afternoon for a couple of the days, unfortunately not long enough. I can't wait until I don't have anything to do, like watch the Olympics, and can get a normal night's sleep. It will have to be that way tomorrow night as I will be driving on Saturday and certainly don't want to do that tired.

I must admit that as good as this break has been, so far, I'm beginning to look forward to doing something. Right now, it still is not trading time for money but I can't wait to get to the defining of my business and actually getting into doing it, the business of Life after Layoff.

No comments: