Monday, August 11, 2008

Day Forty-one: Really cooking?

Today was one of those "best intentions" days. I intended to spend most of the day cooking. What little I did cook, was warming some soup out of a can. I did prepare some "Almost No Knead" bread for baking tomorrow. I substituted one third of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. I'll see tomorrow how that affects the bread. I also cooked some wild rice for the Mango Black Bean salad. This salad required that I go to the grocery store for some green onions, which was done under a time crunch.

Just before I headed out, I got an email saying that if I were at my house between 12 and 2, someone would come and get the desk. So, I raced down to the grocery store to get my onions. (Racing is only figurative. I stayed within the speed limit, well, close to the speed limit.) I would have had more time, if I hadn't bought other things.

I made it back in time. The person who picked it up came on behalf of his wife. He didn't even check it over.

Then, I get an email asking whether or not I could deliver the wall unit. Now, this is a wall unit whose original cost was over $1,500 over 20 years ago. I'd asked $25 for it just so someone else would haul it away. The person who sent me the email offered to "pay" extra. I said that it could take two trips and I would need help loading and unloading. I really want to get rid of them because I don't have a place for them anymore.

Then toward the end of the day, I got an email on the suede sofa. At the true end of the day, I got an email that confused me. It appeared to be the answers to questions that were earlier in the chain but I hadn't gotten the original questions. Since they were questions on smoking and pets, it gave me a good idea on how to "enhance" my postings. You might say that getting rid of this stuff should enhance my Life after Layoff.

Except for the mini-fridge, I haven't gotten rid of anything from the garage. I need to clear out the garage, and that suede sofa to do the things I need to do to make this place more livable. The bedroom stuff is for further future.

I did remember to get the trash out this week. I decided not to give them the styrofoam from the shed packing. I'll see if Coastside Scavenger will take it for recycling.

No comments: