Monday, November 3, 2008

Day One-hundred-and-twenty-six: Just before a diet

Today, the second to the last day before I cut off my TV, was mostly spent in front of it sleeping, when I wasn't eating or on the Internet.  Now, I'm tired.  I'm sure I will be watching a good bit tomorrow night as well.  Wednesday I call Comcast and cancel my TV but I will keep my Internet service, even over my six-week absence.

Thursday I have a Senior Support Group, laid off exec's not old, although most of the group are probably older, meeting in the morning in downtown San Francisco.  Then in the evening I have a Toastmasters meeting.  I did receive my Toastmaster material while I was gone.  I don't know whether it came Friday or Saturday.

I've always dreamed of curling up with a good book in the dormer of an attic when it was raining.  Today it rained just like I dreamed but I didn't have a good book, that I hadn't previously read, nor did I want to go out in the rain to get a new one.  Besides, it quit quickly enough that I would have been unlikely to find one and get back in time to read it while it was raining.  Nor come to think of it, do I have a dormer.

I've eaten well today, if a lot could be said to be well.  For dinner I made whole wheat pancakes but that was my most industrious cooking.  For lunch I warmed up a can of vegetarian baked beans and "cooked" some frozen mixed vegetables.  I shook a little of the Indian spices my oldest daughter gave me and they did make the vegetables quite tasty.  For breakfast I had my high-fiber standby, oatmeal and All Bran.

I thought about making bread but couldn't raise my enthusiasm to do it.  I even thought about making a batch of beer bread but needed to go get flour to do even that.  I couldn't even work up the energy to make any bread when I threw some hotdog buns away that had been in the freezer for at least a year.  I didn't even bother to toast them, let alone taste them.

I will have to go food shopping tomorrow and am thinking about making a run to deliver my youngest daughter's belated birthday present.  She flew off to Florida the weekend after her Friday birthday but I didn't even have it then.  She is due back tomorrow.  I don't know exactly when they are to fly in but if I can drop the present off in a way that animals won't get into it, not that it has any odor that would attract them, I don't actually have to see them.  I do want to get back for my last election addiction fix, watching the returns.

I didn't win the trip to Chicago to join Barack Obama's election night festivities, which should be obvious from my alternative plans, above.  I did get a call today where there was nothing on the other end.  I thought it might be one of those robo-calls so I hung up.  If it was from Obama's campaign, I may have missed out on a trip to Chicago.  Oh well, I didn't have anyone to go with any way.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen anyone today, even when I went out to collect my trash can and recycling bins.  Even though I get my energy from being alone and from more contemplative tasks, I do miss people in my Life after Layoff.  I just know too few people locally, and most of those work.  I'd hate to get a job just to be with people.  I have to find another way.

I know, I'll go off on a cross-country road trip to be with family for at least five weeks.

No comments: