Sunday, November 9, 2008

Day One-hundred-and-thirty-two: Indoor fountains

My daughter wanted to get something done since the weather wasn't exactly conducive to any outdoor activity, damp and chilly.  So she decided and I agreed in spite of my reservations to install the toilet I have had sitting in the garage for some time.  After taking out the old toilet and measuring things, the water inlet was just a little too close and will have to be moved.  Unfortunately the valve didn't shut the water off completely.

This prompted our first trip to the hardware store to buy a cap to seal where the water was escaping from the valve.  When that didn't work, we made another trip to the hardware store for a replacement valve.  I installed the valve, verified that it was indeed closed, opened up basin faucet, and then restored water to the house by opening the shut off.  My son-in-law remarked that it sounded like spraying and I assured him that I had indeed verified that the new valve was closed but had opened up the basin faucet.  Then I leisurely proceeded into the bathroom to see my indoor fountain.  Even though I quickly turned the valve truly off this time, there was already a lot of water in the only catch basin for a fountain of this type.  I carried out a good six inches of water in the trash can and used several large towels to sop up what I could from the floor.  I have a space heater running in there now and will leave it on until it bothers me tonight.

When I come back from my road trip, I will relocate the water supply pipe a little more to the left so I can install the toilet.  I really like that toilet but part of it is also belief in my own competence.  While I am at it, I will now also replace the base molding to match the other bathroom.  This will allow me to do something worth getting my nail gun out and nail the two pieces not nailed in the hall.

Nothing like a little excitement in my Life after Layoff.  I probably was a little calmer than I would have been without my meditation.  It's not a bad place to be coming from any and all times.

After a hot summer in Davis followed by a warm trip to Florida, my daughter found my house a little cool.  So I had to turn on the furnace.  It isn't on right now because its programmed temperature during the day is 60 degrees but I haven't turned it off, yet.  I hesitate to leave it on because it could lead me to forget to turn it off prior to my road trip.  Even though I intend to take the southern route, I have decided to buy chains for my Prius.  If I don't need them so much the better.  After the amount of time the doors were open today the removal of the damp chill was nice, that is when the furnace came on this evening.

No comments: