Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day One-hundred-and-twenty-nine: Work reprised

Well, even though I've titled this "work reprised," it wasn't the work itself.  Today was very much the kind of non-work things I did for so long when I also worked.  I rode BART into San Francisco, buying the commuter paper.  (Yes, my commute was that early.)  I attended a meeting in an office building that was just off the exit I normally used to go to work.  After the meeting I went to Stacey's Bookstore and even bought a book and ate lunch at Henry's Hunan, their 110 Natoma restaurant.  As I walked up Market on my way to Stacey's I was almost by my old office building before I realized it.  I really don't miss working.

I wasn't the oldest person at the Senior Support Group meeting, but it was a close thing.  There were a lot of people from Gap and other Financial Services companies.  At least three were in the Information Technology field.  It was the last meeting for two of them as they had accepted jobs, one after looking for a year and a half.  There was one other person there with a similar attitude as I, if not similar circumstances.  He is not in any rush to find a job and is enjoying his house husbanding.  If it were only more than the house I am husbanding, I might be enjoying it more in my Life after Layoff.

Unlike previous Thursdays where I've dressed up for a San Francisco meeting, came home and dressed down only to dress up again for Toastmasters, today I stayed dressed.  This meant that I didn't get my exercising, or my afternoon sky chair sitting in.

The Toastmasters theme was hamburger, yes the meet patty.  Since the "ground beef" was named hamburger for the city in Germany that supposedly originated it, the word today was "Germany."  It's supposed to be a word that may stretch our vocabulary, not a proper noun.  I tried a little pun and talked about saying "Grr many" times when I was playing with my children when they were young.  It didn't even get a groan.

Next week I get to ask the questions for table topics.  This is the section that is to train members on how to think and speak on their feet.  Except for the impromptu nature of it, it is kind of like the minute or so elevator speech every aspiring junior manager is to have in case they get the ear of a superior in an elevator.  Maybe I used to many poor puns in them as well, but it was truly other reasons that allowed me to be enjoying this Life after Layoff.

No comments: