Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day Two-hundred-and-two: Golf the beneficial way

In preparation for moving, at least moving on, my youngest daughter is inventorying the items she is keeping. She is being quite ruthless in her choices, choosing the bare minimum. While she was being ruthless, she asked me to do some data entry of the things she is keeping in her inventory Access database. I made primary key entries of 11 through 44 this morning after Banana Walnut waffles topped with fresh banana slices, blueberries, and maple syrup.

Then we hurriedly ate a leftover lunch of mashed potatoes, punk rock chickpea gravy, and chickpea cutlet. We took two of the cookies as a golf snack and delayed dessert. Then we raced to the golf course. My daughter assures me that everything in Davis is only ten minutes away. I must admit we made it in plenty of time for our 12:07 tee time.

We were paired with a father and son but although they were very courteous to us and even joined in conversation every once in a while, it was obvious that our somewhat concurrent playing the course was quite coincidental. They may have had a couple holes in which they bogeyed, one each, but most of the time they got birdies and pars. My daughter and I may have had one hole in which we bogeyed. Most of them were far worse than that. This is why we played golf the far more beneficial way. We got more exercise. Not only did we swing our clubs more, but often we went from one side of the fairway to the other allowing us to easily double our walking. At least we did walk. I only lost two balls but could have used a shirt like my father has, upon which it says, "It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do." Water still sucks. But like every other time I've played golf, there were a sufficient number of good strokes that keep me from giving the game up completely, just not on the same hole. Besides, being outdoors on a great day, relatively warm, clear sky and air, and truly pleasant company can't be beat. If golf has to be the excuse to enjoy that, bring more golf into my Life after Layoff.

After golf, we drove around Davis and did a little cardboard dumpster diving. My youngest daughter and her husband learned from the pros in the Domes about dumpster diving and even though it was for cardboard boxes from special cardboard recycling dumpsters, I could tell she has the gift.

Then she both interrogated and motivated me about my Internet business idea. She wants to see action and won't take any hemming and hawing or excuses for any lack of action. It was good to talk with her about it and in the off chance this discussion leads to a business, I wrote on the back of our dinner receipt the business we conducted. Some people hang the first dollar their business makes. I'll will hang the first business deduction, even if I don't claim it as a deduction.

No comments: