Monday, January 19, 2009

Day Two-hundred-and-three: Last LAL entry

Today was supposed to be a day of service, nationally. I chose for my service contribution to revisit an stretch of coast that my parents and I just happened to walk along last September on Coastal Cleanup Day. Of course, we were not aware of this until we were walking. Unfortunately, the people we met who were picking trash up never made it to where we walked.

Fast forward to today. I took three of my precious kitchen trash bags, Whole Foods plastic bags that I can't get anymore, and walked to that same section of shore. There is bad news and good news. The bad news is that I had almost filled two of the three bags on my way to the section. The good news is that the hillside was mostly clean. I only found one teen or tween hiding spot with a lot of cans and plastic bottles. I still filled all three bags and found another that someone had filled and just left.

There is still trash out there. Some of the things that I saw I couldn't get to. I'll have to jury rig a grabber on my tree trimmer the next time I do this. What I was able to pick up was mostly disappointing and some of it was disgusting. It is amazing that people don't care about their home, the U.S., any more than they do. I think fast food restaurants should have a surcharge for their packaging. I only counted the aluminum cans, 51, but I had to smash them to get them to fit in the bag. I brought the glass I picked up home to recycle. The cans and plastic I put in can and plastic bottle recycling bins as appropriate.

I'm sore from the golf yesterday, but it is a good feeling. I feel like I've made progress in a way. I feel healthier.

I've decided to take a hiatus from this blog. Well, I've decided to stop blogging to it in favor of a new blog yet to be started and more diligently adding to my Memories of Marilyn blog. It's been good practice and every once in a while I've felt pleased with an observation or turn of phrase, but... In short, I want to do something worth writing about. The important thing about Life after Layoff is life. I'm going to be focusing on living.

Thank you for your readership.

No comments: